Thursday, September 08, 2011

Arabic Meat in Yogurt Sauce /Shakriye

Arabic Meat in Yogurt Sauce/Shakriye
The first time I had it, not only did I think the very idea of it was STRANGE (it’s basically yogurt soup), but I didn’t like how it tasted either (it was tangy!). I was able to spend quite a bit of time in the Middle East when my hubby and I'm new married…and the longer I stayed the more my tastes changed. It was right around the time I started little big enjoying that I also started to eat Shakriye.

Arabic Meat in Yogurt Sauce/Shakriye

2 tbsp olive oil
500 g beef or lamb, trimmed of fat and cubed (I like to use a boneless beef sirloin steak for this)
1 bay leaf
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 cup plain, low-fat yogurt
11/2 cup Jameed (dry yogurt disclove with water)
1/2 tsp arabic mix spices
pinch of black paper
Salt to taste

In a preasure cooker, heat 2 tbsp of oil over medium-high heat. When the oil starts to ripple, add the meat and let it brown on one side before stirring it (about 3-5 minutes). Stir the meat and add just enough water to cover, then add the bay leave, garlic, black pepper and arabic mixed spices. Bring it up to a boil, then put the lid on, and turn it down to a simmer. Cook for about 30-45 minutes or until the meat is tender, stirring occasionally and adding water if necessary (you should have about 2 c of water left in the pot after cooking the meat).
Add the yogurt and Jameed to the meat and cook on low heat until it comes up to a simmer, off the heat. Season to taste with salt; serve with prepared rice shariye or freeke, ready for serving. Serve hot.
Note:-The original yogurt for the Shakriye recipe is called JAMEED (dried yogurt) but if you could not find it, you can use the yogurt and add corn starch.

No comments:

Post a Comment